It’s undeniable that Social Media has revolutionized the way individuals and organizations communicate. Whether it’s a parent proudly sharing their child’s latest exploits or people reporting live from history-making events, Social Media gives people an amazing ability to connect and share information rapidly.
The PMI organization and our Tampa Chapter (PMITB) currently offer a number of Social Media tools that members can use to access and share information. PMI uses Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+ and the “Voices on Project Management” blog, all of which you can access via the PMI.org home page.
PMITB currently has an active LinkedIn page with over 1,500 members – a number that has been steadily increasing every month. And the chapter has recently launched our Twitter site: twitter.com/PMITampaBay with the handle @PMITampaBay.
How can you get involved?
1. Join our LinkedIn group if you’re not already a member. This is a Private Group, so your request needs to be approved by a group manager. Our reason for doing this is because once you are a member, you’re free to post discussions and promotions. Please see the Social Media Guidelines on the PMI.org site for more information on what’s appropriate. For our group, we ask that if you want to post an event that is not sponsored by PMITB, that it be related to the topic of Project Management and it be placed in the “Promotions” section. PMITB reserves the right to remove any posts we determine to be inappropriate.
If you’re new to LinkedIn, here are two resources to get you started:
- “LinkedIn Profile Optimization” (Presented by Carolyn Smith at a 2013 PMITB Chapter meeting.)
If you want to have a tweet sent from @PMITampBay, please send an email to email@example.com as follows:
- Subject: Please tweet from @PMITampaBay
- Your message: (Limited to 140 characters including any hyperlinks and tags.)
- Date/Time of tweet: (Please indicate “none” if no specific time-of-day is needed.)
- Your name and authorizing chapter officer: (If you’re not an officer.)
- You can also send the above information as a Direct Message via Twitter.
Of course we encourage you to tweet content related to PMITB from your own Twitter account. If you want to ensure that it will be retweeted by @PMITampaBay, please include our handle or use #PMITampaBay.
If you’re new to Twitter, here are two resources to help get you tweeting:
3. Use the Social Media sharing buttons that are present at the top of the PMI-TampaBay.org website pages to share information and events with your Facebook Friends, LinkedIn Contacts and Twitter Followers. Click the “+ Share” button if you want to share the page with a Social Media tool in addition to default tools listed.
4. Participate in our Social Media Survey. PMITB will be sending an online Social Media survey to members in the near future to see what channels members are using, or would want to use, to communicate and collaborate using Social Media. In the mean time, please feel free to send me your comments and suggestions. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Social Media